Ferry across the L' Authion

Another 40km ride today, into Angers and back. Lee's trying to kill me off, I think. 

Last year we just cycled along the roads to get to Angers, but this year Lee found a better route that was cycle route almost all the way. Some of it was still on roads, but they were mostly quiet country lanes or proper cycle paths. 


Even when you do have to join busier roads, they've almost always got a cycle lane, or separate cycle path next to them. France is totally set up for cycling which, in turn, means that more people cycle. 

At one point we had to cross the Authion river, but rather than a bridge there was a DIY ferry (of course there was, this is France)! It's basically a metal floating platform which has a chain running udnderneath it, which is anchored into the river bed.
You pull the chain to bring the ferry to your side, put your bikes on, then pull the chain at the other end to pull yourself across the river. 
Holding the ferry near the bank, so that Lee could put the bikes on

I admit, I was very skeptical about it when I first saw it, but it actually works really well. 

Hauling the little ferry across the river
The ferry, after we'd crossed the river

We had a little mooch around Angers, and the compulsory coffee stop, this time with a galette (savoury crepe), before making our way back. 

Picturesque old street in Angers 

An archeological dig outside the cathedral at Angers

Chateau d'Angers, again, just because it's beautiful 

We were hoping to get back before the rain that was forecast, but it caught up with us as we left Angers and we had a couple of very heavy showers, and yet more thunder. We were absolutely bogging by the time we arrived home, after the mucky water from the cycle paths had sprayed up our backs! 

It cleared away to a lovely evening, though, so there was time to sit out in the sun with my book. I didn't actually read the book - I fell asleep instead - but it was still nice to sit out!

Some pics of the local flora, below. You know I love but if plant ID-ing!

Sheeps bit

Navelwort

A Black Locust tree - smells beautiful - very similar to honeysuckle 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside

Tours be, or not Tours be